Just finished my first season, 11th in the league 6 points off promotion.
Anyone have any tips on the development front? Besides training and youth facilities what can you do? I cant get either dont as Im currently broke!

I don't think there's really much you can do on the NT front for a few seasons. The main (and imo the only) aim for a little while is to get the club to a level where they can garner enough income to support the upgrading of facilities and recruitment. Only then will you get any Sammarinese players good enough to be decent on the world stage.
So for the first few seasons, be normal and don't have any real affinity towards Sammarinese players. When you get to mid Serie A, that's when you should start nurturing the (hopefully) decent talent coming through. A lot does depend on luck though

Hey i know its about for months after this post but check out francesco antonioli aswell if u need a keeper 1st season 3,000 wages but worth it. rated seria a keeper aswell

I forgot how frustrating playing in the lower leagues is, not played 13 much but just had a Chelsea save, and my last long term save was San Marino in 12.

Highlight so far is a 3-1 loss to Ukraine, 15% possession and scored with our only shot on goal.

I did this last year and got fairly far into the game (wasn't as successful as kandersson, of course) and yeah, the national team, for a few seasons, will be depressing. Just ignore it, you won't get sacked so it's fine

can someone help me understand how youth recruitment works w/ San Marino? I seem to only be getting new players from other San Marino clubs instead of I guess the expected youth trials + signing that I've seen in other clubs (in 2012)

I have the youth contracts done by Head of Youth Department. But don't seem to have an influx of youth players like I would expect managing another club. I'm in Serie A for a few seasons and have had my facilities upgraded, and the board won't increase youth budget or junior coaching anymore. I do purchase quite a few external youth talents.

Last edited:
I have a few questions when starting up the game...

I understand that you are to load all players with San Marino nationality but what other leagues are we restricted load?

>>Should we all have the same background football experience?

>> What nationality should we choose?

>> Are we allowed a second nationality?

All advice welcomed!

can someone help me understand how youth recruitment works w/ San Marino? I seem to only be getting new players from other San Marino clubs instead of I guess the expected youth trials + signing that I've seen in other clubs (in 2012)

I have the youth contracts done by Head of Youth Department. But don't seem to have an influx of youth players like I would expect managing another club. I'm in Serie A for a few seasons and have had my facilities upgraded, and the board won't increase youth budget or junior coaching anymore. I do purchase quite a few external youth talents.

that's weird, San Marino have their yearly youth candidates just like any other club in Italy (should be March 17th or 18th iirc), maybe they're signed automatically by your DoF/HoYD if you have the option ticked?

I have a few questions when starting up the game...

I understand that you are to load all players with San Marino nationality but what other leagues are we restricted load?

>>Should we all have the same background football experience?

>> What nationality should we choose?

>> Are we allowed a second nationality?

All advice welcomed!

no restrictions :)

I feel none of those features really have much impact on the challenge, esp long term, so it's all good! Personally I like to have SM nationality to become a true Sammarinese legend ;)

that's weird, San Marino have their yearly youth candidates just like any other club in Italy (should be March 17th or 18th iirc), maybe they're signed automatically by your DoF/HoYD if you have the option ticked?

Thanks. I do have that option ticked. I'll take it off and see if it makes a difference this year.

no restrictions :)

I feel none of those features really have much impact on the challenge, esp long term, so it's all good! Personally I like to have SM nationality to become a true Sammarinese legend ;)

Thanks for the reply hoping to start this tonight or tomorrow.

In FM12 at Benfica I started getting a few Scottish regens and I was the other personnel at the club with the nationality. Nationality and past experience help with language barrier and reputation to sign players

Thanks for the reply hoping to start this tonight or tomorrow.

In FM12 at Benfica I started getting a few Scottish regens and I was the other personnel at the club with the nationality. Nationality and past experience help with language barrier and reputation to sign players

yeah starting with an international reputation also makes it much easier to motivate players from the very first season, and a second nationality can give you an advantage with scouting knowledge and languages from day one.

However to make real progress in this challenge (esp with the NT) you have to play AT LEAST a dozen seasons regardless of past experience and nationality, and those settings won't make much of a difference in the long run. Patience, luck with SM regens and ability to develop youth are the key of this challenge. Patience most of all :)

yeah starting with an international reputation also makes it much easier to motivate players from the very first season, and a second nationality can give you an advantage with scouting knowledge and languages from day one.

However to make real progress in this challenge (esp with the NT) you have to play AT LEAST a dozen seasons regardless of past experience and nationality, and those settings won't make much of a difference in the long run. Patience, luck with SM regens and ability to develop youth are the key of this challenge. Patience most of all :)

Achhhhh away with you!

All you have to do is play the transfer months every year then holiday it up in Dubai and let the game do the work for 10years....

Nah in all seriousness started last night, managing both club and country.

Key signing so far C.Zanetti

"We're on the road to San Marino, the world cup awaits for me"

So how is the match engine now Kandersson? Been away for a month so didn't have a computer (one reason I didn't get the game cause I knew I wouldn't be around for that), but now have time and debating if I should get the game now or wait till it goes on sale.

Although I do like that people are having better luck early on as a national team. Maybe it will be easier this year to win. Oh the suspense is killing me. Good luck to everyone playing it. It doesn't seem like a lot of people want to take on this challenge this year? Which is sad..

So how is the match engine now Kandersson? Been away for a month so didn't have a computer (one reason I didn't get the game cause I knew I wouldn't be around for that), but now have time and debating if I should get the game now or wait till it goes on sale.

Although I do like that people are having better luck early on as a national team. Maybe it will be easier this year to win. Oh the suspense is killing me. Good luck to everyone playing it. It doesn't seem like a lot of people want to take on this challenge this year? Which is sad..

I've yet to experience the dreaded match engine problem, not experienced it yet playing in Scottish lower leagues, English lower leagues and Argentina...

Is it an isolated probelm with a certain league, team or tactic...?

I presume there will be an update come Feb for the transfers, what i would suggest is maybe playin San Marino year 1 then repeating it with the experience of what players to buy and not to buy...

Pre Season Complete and I have won the San Marino cup thing and lost 5-1 away to Bulgaria.

personally I find latest ME patch (13.2.1) quite disappointing and actually a step back from 13.1.3. Biggest issues for me are the insane amount of long shots, overpowered winger/dribblers and lack of through balls.

Can't say I've enjoyed FM13 so far and actually haven't start a serious long-term save as a result. Obviously this is just my opinion and other people will find the game enjoyable. Good news is SI staff seem to be well aware of current ME problems and a new patch should be out soon. Fingers crossed...

personally I find latest ME patch (13.2.1) quite disappointing and actually a step back from 13.1.3. Biggest issues for me are the insane amount of long shots, overpowered winger/dribblers and lack of through balls.

Can't say I've enjoyed FM13 so far and actually haven't start a serious long-term save as a result. Obviously this is just my opinion and other people will find the game enjoyable. Good news is SI staff seem to be well aware of current ME problems and a new patch should be out soon. Fingers crossed...

Kandersson, is there anyway to check that your system is up to date and running the latest version....?

With new updates pending does that me existing saved games will not be affected and we may have to restart, a bit cautious due to starting the 50year mission on San Marino!

Kandersson, is there anyway to check that your system is up to date and running the latest version....?

With new updates pending does that me existing saved games will not be affected and we may have to restart, a bit cautious due to starting the 50year mission on San Marino!

you can check the 'Game Status' option and see what version you're running. Latest version should be 13.2.1 if I'm not mistaken.

if you use steam online then the game is automatically updated when a new patch comes out. If you play offline you need to go online for steam to update. ME patches are compatible with previous saves so no need to start a new game.