The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Developing players is only a bad idea if you've no patience and don't believe in your own coaching abilities so need to spend big on the more ready product to compensate.

We have lots of both (although many 'fans' lack the patience bit the manager and club don't) so we're good doing it our way.

Yes. That would be Joe Gomez.
I didn't say that developing is a bad idea. I'm saying that it's not the greatest idea to start central defenders so early in he development curve. Joe Gomez will probably peak in a decade. Liverpool need the talent now. Look at Joel Matip. Tonnes of experience at 25. There's no way he'd cope at a top club with the number of mistakes he's made over the years. He was known for them as much as his defensive ability. For the past 18 months, he refined himself to one of the finest in Germany.

I've let myself down, I've let this forum down, I've let everyone down I feel so embarrassed. I'll put off returning to university to make sure I get it right next time

This man is a shining example to us all. This is an honest man who cares enough to put his disappointments behind him who strives to study hard, work harder and be the very best he can be.

Just like future LFC and England centre half The Man, The Myth, The Living LEGEND Joe MF Gomez! :P.

I didn't say that developing is a bad idea. I'm saying that it's not the greatest idea to start central defenders so early in he development curve.....

I said that. You forget Klopp doesn't roll with convention but what he both believes in and gets the most enjoyment out of. As relatively inexperienced as Joe is at the highest level (although he's not looked out of place in any first team game he's played), Matts Hummels was nowhere near as experienced as Gomez is now when he plucked him from Bayern's ressie's for a glaring comparison. That worked out pretty well.

We're good doing it our way and Joe's developing nicely among a good mix in that group of centre backs. If he starts playing more the fitter he gets it'll be for the right reasons for his process.

I said that. You forget Klopp doesn't roll with convention but what he both believes in and gets the most enjoyment out of. As relatively inexperienced as Joe is at the highest level (although he's not looked out of place in any first team game he's played), Matts Hummels was nowhere near as experienced as Gomez is now when he plucked him from Bayern's ressie's for a glaring comparison. That worked out pretty well.

We're good doing it our way and Joe's developing nicely among a good mix in that group of centre backs. If he starts playing more the fitter he gets it'll be for the right reasons for his process.
Dortmund were a mid table team who'd just recovered from the verge of bankruptcy.

Coutinho looking like starting Sunday so that should quell the masses for a few days at least.

If de Gea would be so kind as to make as big a mistake as the last time he faced Phil there it would be appreciated.

Talking Matip above, he's now missed twice as many PL games this year as Daniel Sturridge.

But Sturridge is still the one labelled injury prone .....

I didn't say that developing is a bad idea. I'm saying that it's not the greatest idea to start central defenders so early in he development curve. Joe Gomez will probably peak in a decade. Liverpool need the talent now. Look at Joel Matip. Tonnes of experience at 25. There's no way he'd cope at a top club with the number of mistakes he's made over the years. He was known for them as much as his defensive ability. For the past 18 months, he refined himself to one of the finest in Germany.

To be fair thats probably how he's got so much experience at 25 haha

Not sure if serious or not?

They have played same amount PL games but Stud is yet to finish a 90min game. Matip has double minutes in PL than him.

What was unclear there mate?

Sturridge has been available for twice as many PL games this year as Matip. Regardless of whether he's had less game time.

I wasn't calling Matip injury prone. Just the irony in comparison to games missed/ available for selection between the two and the frustrating fact that Sturridge continues to be labelled such be lazy *** journalists and fans who read their bile.

This is the first time in 3 years I'm not looking forward to playing United, I have the worst feeling about it and I dont know why!

This is the first time in 3 years I'm not looking forward to playing United, I have the worst feeling about it and I dont know why!
It's squad depth. Mané is at ACON and Coutinho wouldn't be fully fit. Mané is the bigger loss. He's irreplaceable.

Nerves are natural and good mate. Hope the players have some as they walk out Sunday. Stops over confidence.

And considering the amount of times over the years we've had no luck at all at Utd, or recently de Gea saving his two yearly Superman displays for ourselves to go along with our indifferent performances the past month and Utd being bang in form; it's natural any Red would be nervous going there.

Personally quietly optimistic it'll turn into a comfortable 3 points. (Although a lot of that depends whether Mourinho plays football or reverts to his usual L'pool shithousery.). The form book goes out of the window with the Utd game and as the league reflects we've the better team for me and a manager who has his opposites number.

It'll come back together Sunday mate. Keep believing in the mad German.

We've a League to win!

Last edited:
Nerves are natural and good mate. Hope the players have some as they walk out Sunday. Stops over confidence.

And considering the amount of times over the years we've had no luck at all at Utd, or recently de Gea saving his two yearly Superman displays against us; to go along with our indifferent performances the past month and Utd being bang in form. it's natural any Red would be nervous going there.

Personally quietly optimistic it'll turn into a comfortable 3 points. (Although a lot of that depends whether Mourinho plays football or reverts to his usual L'pool shithousery.). The form book goes out of the window when the Utd game and as the league reflects we've the better team for me and a manager who has his opposites number.

It'll come back together Sunday mate. Keep believing in the mad German.

We've a League to win.
Anything's possible with Klopp. He's a top 2 manager.

Had this conversation in work before..

Not that I think we'll get beat, but I think Mourinho will be his typical **** self and sit back taking the draw. And knowing United they'll have an offside goal being allowed somewhere with the combination of us having a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Just seen Sturridge's interview on Sky Sports, wow, went straight in with the "I am the best striker at Liverpool FC" statement, and quite bluntly said he just has to "take it on the chin" when Klopp doesn't select him.

Don't disagree with his statement, but I don't see any need to come out and give Sky what they want to hear in a bold statement like that. At the end of the day, until he scores and takes his chances as much as Oirigi does when given his opportunities, then he hasn't any excuse to be annoyed.

As much as he scored 5 in 5 not too long back, Origi's overall play has been terrible outside of the second half Middlesbrough. I would imagine he'll start tomorrow purely down to Coutinho. If you're thinking on an hour or so for Coutinho, Sturridge coming on the last half hour is a far more worrying prospect the opposition than Divock. Don't personally see much of anything in that interview.

So Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal win. Worse case scenario and L'pool lose tomorrow, I really hope people's heads don't fall off. I know that's a long shot as it's Utd so they invariably will. But in reality the only 'must win' tomorrow is on them if they want the top 4. A L'pool loss wouldn't be ideal naturally but it changes little. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham still have to come to us. They'll still be 51 points to play for after tomorrow. We'll have 10 of our last 17 games at home. Including 5 out of the ridiculous good 9 game run-in.

Anfield will play the defining roll in our season and we're approaching a year unbeaten at home.

I'm quietly confident of the 3 points tomorrow but a loss alters nothing in terms of the title pursuit.

Great example I was refreshing my memory on earlier was the '86 double winning side. Everton were a better team than any of the current competitors IMHO, and after we lost at Anfield against them 2-0 in what was supposedly the title decider February 22nd we fell 10 behind with 11 left to play. 10 wins out 11 later, we've won the league by 2 points. Now I know times have changed and there's far more teams involved this time out but that's just one example how all isn't lost so early.

Tomorrows just another game on the journey. Not the defining moment to pack it all in if the worst case happened.

Last edited:
Barrett's absolutely killing again it since he moved to Joe. Another ESSENTIAL pre-match read:

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-truth-about-the-manchester-united-vs-liverpool-rivalry-as-told-by-those-who-know-it-best/107242

This might be a World wide affair and most watched TV football game every year on the planet. But it's still our little parochial affair that you'll never quite understand like lads at the match steeped in it from either of these two great City's do. The same way I could never truly understand what facing Madrid on the football field means to a Catalonian.

Is it 4:00 PM already?

Into these Reds!

Last edited:
Back