The Manchester United Thread

No one is really questioning Ole anyway (apart from his subs which again you can argue he has nothing on the bench)...... rather we're questioning the United's hierarchy to fully back a manager in another transfer window. Or let us stagnate again whilst other teams improve, seen it all before, this transfer window basically entirely depends on how we'll continue to progress or not.

In some ways it may be a blessing not to get Sancho because it's clear the more I see this team that we need to address other more important areas. Woodward probably wants that signing more than anything due to the star name as we've seen in the past.He would be a good signing, but neglects other parts of the team and we'd probably only sign him and no one else... if it happened.

That's the thing. With Mason Greenwood, you can turn the lad into a quality right winger with the right coaching. I always wonder with all this "buy this or buy that", maybe he could do more to improve his current roster? You know...there's that thing managers do called...coaching?

For £200 million spent, I feel this should be an absolute minimum.
Not really. What was our net spend. I would say nowhere near enough. Even without transfers. He’s done more than minimum with the players he’s out out injured and the poor depth in our squad. On top of trying to improve our fitness, style of play, mentality in his first full season.

That's the thing. With Mason Greenwood, you can turn the lad into a quality right winger with the right coaching. I always wonder with all this "buy this or buy that", maybe he could do more to improve his current roster? You know...there's that thing managers do called...coaching?
So we shouldn’t buy then. And let Ole work his magic on the likes of Pereira, Lingard, Mata. Come on mate and to say Ole hasn’t improved a lot of these players is a joke tbh.

Don’t think LB is priority. Shaw has been good this season and has improved attacking wise as it’s gone on and his fitness has improved. Him and Rashford have a very good relationship on that side and it’s no coincidence that as well as his injury, since Shaw has been injured Rashford has struggled.

Williams has had a good first season won us some vital penalties with his driving runs forward. Yes he’s rash at times but that’s due to inexperience at this level.On a whole he’s been pretty good defensively and will only get better. Needs to use his left foot more which having witnessed at youth levels it actually pretty good.

Granted Luke Shaw poses a better attacking threat than any of our other fullbacks (Dalot exempted), it's still not enough to balance out AWB's lack of. I'd like a left back that is Alphonso Davies-like in attack. Now, in a dream world, I'd love Davies' but there's a better chances that we'd win the champions league next season than actually getting him. With that said, you also can't rely on Luke Shaw given his injury record so I'd go for someone like Theo Hernandes or Alex Telles. Neither would be overly expensive.

Granted Luke Shaw poses a better attacking threat than any of our other fullbacks (Dalot exempted), it's still not enough to balance out AWB's lack of. I'd like a left back that is Alphonso Davies-like in attack. Now, in a dream world, I'd love Davies' but there's a better chances that we'd win the champions league next season than actually getting him. With that said, you also can't rely on Luke Shaw given his injury record so I'd go for someone like Theo Hernandes or Alex Telles. Neither would be overly expensive.
Off topic, but that lad is on way becoming WC. Would be interesting to see in this generation so impactfull player like CR9 and Messi, but in other positsion.

It's mad how people all over SM can straight-faced say there's no squad depth given the money spent since Ferguson.

The fact that squad depth isn't very high in quality doesn't detract it's there like all the other clubs around you in the same situation.

It's mad how people all over SM can straight-faced say there's no squad depth given the money spent since Ferguson.

The fact that squad depth isn't very high in quality doesn't detract it's there like all the other clubs around you in the same situation.
The problem hasn’t been the money spent but where it has been spent and the ridiculous amount of manager turn over. Hopefully that’s a thing of the past but you can never be ever truly sure with us.

Off topic, but that lad is on way becoming WC. Would be interesting to see in this generation so impactfull player like CR9 and Messi, but in other positsion.
He is young, but very often suspect defensively. Granted, it is off-set by his pace and attacking nous, but just as easily exploitable, mind. Again, he is young, and will improve. Will be curious to see how he progresses.

Thats the issue, thats what you feel. Squad was neglected for years, constant manager changes did not help with players settling in Manchester, and this is the first time since Alex where there's a clear progress with a vision on how to play and what players fit. City and Liverpool pulled far ahead in last 6-7 years ( well City at last, Liverpool in maybe last 3-4, not counting that Mou's 2nd place run) and you need both time and resources AND you have to be better then them at it that to catch up.
Prepare yourself mate, United still needs at least 2 more season before it can challenge for anything, unless Liverpool and City fk up.

Thats the issue, thats what you feel. Squad was neglected for years, constant manager changes did not help with players settling in Manchester, and this is the first time since Alex where there's a clear progress with a vision on how to play and what players fit. City and Liverpool pulled far ahead in last 6-7 years ( well City at last, Liverpool in maybe last 3-4, not counting that Mou's 2nd place run) and you need both time and resources AND you have to be better then them at it that to catch up.
Prepare yourself mate, United still needs at least 2 more season before it can challenge for anything, unless Liverpool and City fk up.
That hasn't been news to anyone on here, man. There is a clear chasm, yes, but this is the first time there is some positive signs visible. That being said, I'm worried even in this regard, Woodward can still screw it up.

Also, Rangnick is not currently employed. FFS, if Woody can step back and we get him, that's a dream appointment as a DoF. And let's face it, until we get someone with real control managing our football, we will be screwed over, with Woodward and his way of going about things.

There was money, lots of it. But most of it gone to waste because those players did not fit, and when you change managers, they have their own vision, their own players they want etc. Worst thing is, after Moyes, you bring in Van Gaal who's complete opposite and after him Mou, who's even more radical in his on way. And then you have Solskjaer who's again more similar to Van Gaal. It's a mess, real mess.
You can't honestly blame players on managers, it's the structure above them thats clueless.

He's basically a winger playing at LB, similar to Gareth Bale. I do believe he'll eventually be pushed up further but he's so entertaining to watch.

He's basically a winger playing at LB, similar to Gareth Bale. I do believe he'll eventually be pushed up further but he's so entertaining to watch.
Yeah, you can actually see that in his game. He moves forward amazingly, and when caught out, uses his pace and speed to regain his position. Kinda similar to how one can see AwB for instance - his attacking game is ****, but uses his pace and INSANE tackling to make up for sometimes bad positioning/attacking breakdowns.

Davies - yeah, he has mostly been used in a hybrid wing-back role more or less, this season, with complete confidence to go and attack. Definitely an exciting talent!

He is young, but very often suspect defensively. Granted, it is off-set by his pace and attacking nous, but just as easily exploitable, mind. Again, he is young, and will improve. Will be curious to see how he progresses.

That's because he's actually a winger but I really wouldn't mind given what he offers going forward. They'd just compensate and have Kimmich staying back to maintain some defensive solidarity

Remember Ducker writing a piece on Rangnick and our interest and initial talks. Think talks ended when Rangnick wanted complete oversight of the football side of things from the first team right down to the youngest age of our a academy level in transfers and style of play.

There was money, lots of it. But most of it gone to waste because those players did not fit, and when you change managers, they have their own vision, their own players they want etc. Worst thing is, after Moyes, you bring in Van Gaal who's complete opposite and after him Mou, who's even more radical in his on way. And then you have Solskjaer who's again more similar to Van Gaal. It's a mess, real mess.
You can't honestly blame players on managers, it's the structure above them thats clueless.

No question the lack of a proper club structure is the biggest of many issues at Utd.

But by the same token, you can't use the lack of quality squad depth as any excuse when it's no different from the level of teams you're now competing against. Coaches have to work with what they've got and improve them to their fullest until they can get better. The fact he ran you into the ground by not utilising/ trusting/ however you want to term it, the squad last seasonr is on him. Same as injuries that impact everyone.

The biggest worry as regards the squad in the upcoming season, where rotation will be KEY for every club, would be for me is he going to do the same and rely on Fernandes, in particular, to dig him out of holes every week? If he does, you're liable to be goosed by Christmas given the chaotic schedule everyone faces.