The Manchester United Thread

I'm not convinced he was THE priority because we could have triggered that deal a month or two before it even happened. We only actually went for VdB when other clubs were starting to make a move. It's odd to me if he was such a priority why it didn't happen even earlier.

I'm not convinced he was THE priority because we could have triggered that deal a month or two before it even happened. We only actually went for VdB when other clubs were starting to make a move. It's odd to me if he was such a priority why it didn't happen even earlier.
Not talking about the player more the position. We desperately needed a quality back up to Pogba and more importantly Bruno. **** watching Periera, Lingard, Mata getting 40 games each this season and dropping points to teams we should be beating

This window is becoming depressing, VdB good deal but an easy one to do. Not one of our priorities, still RW and at least one defender needed at least. We just can't seem to do a few deals in a short space of time.

If we go into this season thinking that Mason Greenwood is going to be able to carry the RW for this season then we are extremely naive football club. Which I guess is nothing new, but I really expected some ambition.

Sure we've got like 3 weeks left, but like I say we've known for ages now the price for Sancho... if we had any real desire to achieve then we'd have it done by now. Instead just prancing around making half-arsed attempt to sign players, 'Monitoring Situation' FC.

Another season could quite easily go down the drain if we don't sort this squad out, not even just talking about the incomings... outgoings are non-existent as well. Playing like Romero, Rojo, Pereira, Lingard, Smalling, Jones, Dalot, just going to be sitting around because we can't get rid of them. Not because Ole necessarily even wants them, it's quite clear to me he doesn't rate many of his squad players.

Hang in there mate. (On everything else. Not Sancho. That was never happening from the get-go.). As soon as a few dominoes start to fall over the next week or so, deals will be happening all over.

Telling yer, the last week or so of this window is fixing to be mad crazy. Sky will actually get a proper exciting last day for once in all likelihood.

Why the heck are Spurs agreeing to a 35m euro buy back lol. Madrid must be ******* themselves.
Um, 35 Mn? Surely not? That'd be mental, if it is true. How the **** did Levy even agree to that, considering his reputation?

Also, is Mourinho finally going to attack? With Reguilon in, he can't use the lop-sided FB attack/defence - both Doherty and Reguilon like to attack. Add Bale to the mix - curious.

Every club will wait until the final stages to get some deals done (look at Pool and Thiago). The reason we went for van de Beek is probably the same reason - other clubs were circling. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's a wait until the final stages of the window to extract maximum value possible out of signings. Chelsea are an outlier in how they have got deals done this window (and theirs were straightforward - prices they could afford basis the previous two windows and few competitors).

Also, van de Beek was a priority. You are underestimating how gruelling this season will be - and a tired Bruno is of no use, considering he is our creative spark and one of the few who tries to pass it forward. Plus, van de Beek can substitute for either Pogba or Bruno, so he was sorely needed.

Other positions are definitely needed, and I am kinda worried over the whole Sancho scenario (or another RW, I dunno). Let's wait until the end of the window before writing it off. CB, I'm okay if we hold it off for another season. Despite being shaky, we did have the third best defence, I believe (and this is with the inexplicable DDG errors). Can atleast look to improve on it before going for replacements next season. A LB seems important, considering Shaw's injury record and a RW. 2 deals, lets see.

Also, squad players, it's not easy to sell them in the current climate. Let's see. Expecting atleast 2 of them to be sold this window, and many of the rest are out of contract next season, so meh.

Um, 35 Mn? Surely not? That'd be mental, if it is true. How the **** did Levy even agree to that, considering his reputation?

Also, is Mourinho finally going to attack? With Reguilon in, he can't use the lop-sided FB attack/defence - both Doherty and Reguilon like to attack. Add Bale to the mix - curious.
Levy must be off his rocker. Come on mate this is Mourinho with Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Moura, Alli, Doherty and still parked the bud against Everton lol.

Every club will wait until the final stages to get some deals done (look at Pool and Thiago). The reason we went for van de Beek is probably the same reason - other clubs were circling. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's a wait until the final stages of the window to extract maximum value possible out of signings. Chelsea are an outlier in how they have got deals done this window (and theirs were straightforward - prices they could afford basis the previous two windows and few competitors).

Also, van de Beek was a priority. You are underestimating how gruelling this season will be - and a tired Bruno is of no use, considering he is our creative spark and one of the few who tries to pass it forward. Plus, van de Beek can substitute for either Pogba or Bruno, so he was sorely needed.

Other positions are definitely needed, and I am kinda worried over the whole Sancho scenario (or another RW, I dunno). Let's wait until the end of the window before writing it off. CB, I'm okay if we hold it off for another season. Despite being shaky, we did have the third best defence, I believe (and this is with the inexplicable DDG errors). Can atleast look to improve on it before going for replacements next season. A LB seems important, considering Shaw's injury record and a RW. 2 deals, lets see.

Also, squad players, it's not easy to sell them in the current climate. Let's see. Expecting atleast 2 of them to be sold this window, and many of the rest are out of contract next season, so meh.
Another reason clubs will leave it late is finances also. That money you would spend on a transfer is sat in the back is earning interest, money saved on players wages etc. Every little helps. Especially if it’s true Utd will be losing 4/5m each home game this season in the current COVID conditions. Agree with you and Scouse can see a fair few clubs moving last week/2 weeks of the window maybe a fair few deadline day deals as some clubs will sell easier to get a bit of cash in during these uncertain times.

Just been reading Levitt had a good debut last night, starting against WHU in the cup. They lost but a few journos who reported on the match and Charlton fans were very impressed after a nervous start.

Could have some really exciting players coming back ready for first team football next season from loans. Laird, Levitt, Garner, Chong, Bernard.

It’s funny lol because these are all players playing in positions we need/needed this window. FB, CM/AM, RW, CB.

Also interesting that Mengi has not been anywhere near the u 23 since there season got cut short. Looks like he will be in the first team squad this season.

Might be naive, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. More so in times we have currently + it can help relationship with a big club.

it is understandably bollocks to have this clause, but if you need the guy for push in the squad and Real just has that pulling power. You try to get max out of him, maybe Sessegon will be taking his place when in the end Real buys him back. Also dont think the clauses and contracts are so black and white, more points that we dont see that could benefit Spurs somehow.

Might be naive, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. More so in times we have currently + it can help relationship with a big club.

it is understandably bollocks to have this clause, but if you need the guy for push in the squad and Real just has that pulling power. You try to get max out of him, maybe Sessegon will be taking his place when in the end Real buys him back. Also dont think the clauses and contracts are so black and white, more points that we dont see that could benefit Spurs somehow.
What relationship, though? It's rare that it comes into an equation - more often than not, money speaks (like City/Napoli, where they're dealing despite fractuous relationship). And in this scenario, I'm having a hard time not imagining Tottenham as a big club feeder club for Real. Especially since Real can buy him back for 5 Mn more at any point of time in the next two seasons (and him being a RM fan and youth product, no way he will turn it down).

Ironic thing is both Reguilon and Doherty are the type of fullbacks Poch had been crying out for since Walker's departure and Rose's decline - strong FB who attack and defend from the front. Only, Mourinho has them, and basis his tactics, atleast one of them will be asked to become ultra defensive. Sigh.

You know, we may regret not signing Reguilon for a snip (especially if Real don't exercise their clause and we don't sign a LB later in the window), but if a buyback is involved, it's too much of a mad risk to even consider.

Um, 35 Mn? Surely not? That'd be mental, if it is true. How the **** did Levy even agree to that, considering his reputation? .....

I more don’t get why Madrid are so insistent on a buy-back for a lad that turns 24 in December? You should know by now if he’s going to make it at the top or not at your club. I both get and completely agree with Utd that they can’t be seen to be weak by agreeing to that. No big club would ever agree to that. It’s a perception thing as much as anything. (Utd Madrid’s feeder club etc.). But I doubt it’s ever activated regardless.

Tottenham are in ‘win now mode.’ Any club is that hires Mourinho. He’s never going to build anything long term and he’s not arsed on any clause you’d imagine as he’ll be gone from ‘Sours n a year or two with a nice pay-off. As is his want now.

Levy hired him knowing that out of desperation for Tottenham to win something so he has to play the game.

I more don’t get why Madrid are so insistent on a buy-back for a lad that turns 24 in December? You should know by now if he’s going to make it at the top or not at your club. I both get and completely agree with Utd that they can’t be seen to be weak by agreeing to that. No big club would ever agree to that. It’s a perception thing as much as anything. (Utd Madrid’s feeder club etc.). But I doubt it’s ever activated regardless.

Tottenham are in ‘win now mode.’ Any club is that hires Mourinho. He’s never going to build anything long term and he’s not arsed on any clause you’d imagine as he’ll be gone from ‘Sours n a year or two with a nice pay-off. As is his want now.

Levy hired him knowing that out of desperation for Tottenham to win something so he has to play the game.
Yeah, most likely Mou than anything else. Kinda explains a move for Bale too. And ****, even Doherty, who turns 29 in January.

But for Reguilon, there are two aspects to the buy-back clause. Madrid probably don't expect him to become a starter there (they're counting on Mendy for that). However, Marcelo is gone in all likelihood next season (only reason he is still there is he has some contribution left, dressing room presence and the fact that noone will make an offer for him during Covid). If he is gone next season, it makes sense to get back Reguilon for 35 Mn to provide competition to Mendy and then sell him off a year later for a higher amount to get in their youth product (read somewhere they have a promising LB in their academy). It'll be similar to the Morata case.

Defo as that’s all Kane is now. A box striker. He’ll finish regularly in there. But his pace and movement are done outside the box after the injuries and he’s a completely different type of player now.
Yeah, it's a shame. He is overused and hence, always injured. Spurs still haven't signed a back-up for him, and Mourinho, unlike Poch, doesn't use Son as a striker. You have to assume their priority is a back-up striker for Kane, else he will again pick up injuries this season. Still feel he should have moved to a bigger club about a season or 2 ago, reckon he will remain at Spurs for his career now, as the high outlay may not be worth it anymore, with Kane's injury record.

Also, while his pace/movement may have reduced, I suspect a lot is basis Mourinho, treating him as a TM (as he deals with practically every big striker). I keep thinking he is always out to replicate Drogba with his strikers, but going about it the wrong way.

Last edited:
Dont think the buy back clause is so cut and try as media is saying, Lewy would not see it be a loss to a club. If this kind of singing can help you push to top 4, then you would not do it? Push for better place is risk worth it with a player who improves that positsion so much, even if there is SOME possibility that he leaves in 2 years time. Ultimatly you have also have some money moving around if the club needs to clear some books. Ofcourse there is danger of player not working out or a dressing room problem, but lets face it that can happen with any player as we have seen time to time. Bascially loan move where money is moving around and there might be change that the players stays.

Also I understand Mou tactics and the perspetion he has in this forum, but dont make him sound like complete fool sunday leage manager, who could not change tactics if right players are coming in.

Regarding Kane. I really hope Lo Celso could take more the place of nr10 role when he comes back, to give Kane more movement up top, not droping down all the time. He played really well after the reset and team seemed better with him on the pitch. All are talking about Kane drop off, but I think Alli drop has been more bigger and constant already from Poch time.

@Bujakaa92 ...

Nah mate, that’s his problem and why the game has completely left Mourinho behind. His refusal to adapt and change from a style of football that worked for him 5/10 years back but doesn’t now as the games evolved into an attacking era.

He’s a second-rate has been now who’s completely tarnishing whatever reputation as a top manager he had.

Hello guys!

Not been on in a while, how are we all?

I see Angel Gomes has been loaned out to Boavista, can see him turning out like Mastour unless he really pulls his finger out
Okay, Mastour is nostalgic. I remember signing him on one of the earlier FMs when he was the rage. Mad to think it was such a long time ago, and he is still 22. I believe Gomes will turn out better, atleast, I hope so.