The Manchester United Thread

Thiago is very, very good. Always bitter-sweet for me, mind. We almost had him, if not for Moyes turning him down, and then resorting to Fellaini. Even Thiago was baffled at that, before opting to go to Bayern. God, I hate Moyes. It took him about 8 months to completely ruin the club (or start it on the path to the same).

But for all of Thiago, just look at Frenkie de Jong. I'm a huge fan of the guy. Like Thiago, the guy can do everything. DM, CM and ACM. And he is extremely good at carrying the ball out of midfield, he is a proper all-round midfielder. Albeit, he is asked to temper his attacking and movement instincts basis how Barca play and revolve their game around Messi, but he is an insane talent, for sure.
Could of had Thiago and Kroos ?

He can play as a 6, 8 or 10. As a 6, he'd be more of a Carrick-esque DM and he isn't a bad tackler (I think bye averages 2.8 tackles per game in the Bundesliga).
He does not play that for ( 10, or even 8) for Bayern. He's playing as a 6 similar to Pogba. He brings the ball out of defense, he sprays it around and joins the attack when possible. Difference is United is playing with a DM and Pogba can go forward more.
When defending, its Kimmich(or Goretzka or Tolliso, whoever plays) who drops deeper and does "Matić" role.

Against Chelsea:

Go to 0:47 and watch a couple of seconds. Thiago was far from the ball when Chelsea attacked, Goretzka was the closest "midfielder". Next highlight, Chelsea disallowed goal, Thiago is once again more advanced than Goretzka. For Chelsea goal, Thiago was covering a winger, while Goretzka once again was central. Etc.

There was couple of moments where Thiago was dropping deep in between defenders following the striker/winger when Chelsea attacked, so there's no denying that he can't do that, its just rare and more often he presses rather than holding position.

He does not play that for ( 10, or even 8) for Bayern. He's playing as a 6 similar to Pogba. He brings the ball out of defense, he sprays it around and joins the attack when possible. Difference is United is playing with a DM and Pogba can go forward more.
When defending, its Kimmich(or Goretzka or Tolliso, whoever plays) who drops deeper and does "Matić" role.

Against Chelsea:

Go to 0:47 and watch a couple of seconds. Thiago was far from the ball when Chelsea attacked, Goretzka was the closest "midfielder". Next highlight, Chelsea disallowed goal, Thiago is once again more advanced than Goretzka. For Chelsea goal, Thiago was covering a winger, while Goretzka once again was central. Etc.

There was couple of moments where Thiago was dropping deep in between defenders following the striker/winger when Chelsea attacked, so there's no denying that he can't do that, its just rare and more often he presses rather than holding position.

Are you seriously using one UCL game? His role tends to vary based on injured personnel/strength not the opposition

So you are looking for RW, Traore is a beast. Would be crazy if Pool got hands on him
We looking at a RW but someone who would also play anywhere behind the STR. I like Traore but he is limited and this season as an exception is very inconsistent. Plus Wolves would want silly money.

Paul Hirst of the Times saying Utd are actively looking to sell a few CBs to fund a possible move for Pau Torres. He’s there first choice to his and want a left footed CB to partner Maguire and add balance while playing out at from the back.

Makes sense that we will have to sell before we by a CB and a AM if we are gonna spend big on Sancho. Been a long time coming the likes of Smalling, Rojo, Jones are shifted out!

Are you seriously using one UCL game? His role tends to vary based on injured personnel/strength not the opposition
You want me to write it full season analysis for Bayern and Thiago when you did not even care to post just "one game"? Each to their own, can't be bothered.

Dindt fancy us against Wolves or Sevilla to be honest. Even if we best Sevilla I can see Inter and the ex reds biting us in the **** in the final. Wolves will be dangerous next season in the league though with just the league to go for. I dont fancy us at all in a one game knock out against Sevilla. If it was 2 legs and we lost 1-0 away then 2nd leg at OT id be confident but a one off game is anybodies.

Screenshot_20200811-205740.jpg

Thiago literally operating like a 6 ?

Be very interesting where he ends up. Even at such a bargain price for a genuine best in position WC superstar I think the majority of clubs are still going to be financially prudent balancing the books with sales first in these totally uncertain financial times.

Related, people all over SM narking or mocking Utd’s reported offer of £60 + 20 million for Sancho as ‘Ed not doing his job/ insulting’ need to understand the realism of the COVID world we’re now in and the massive impact on EVERY clubs finances for God knows how long going forward. Although I’m not sure why so much TV money has had to paid back to the TV companies by every club given they still showed all the games after the restart?

Be very interesting where he ends up. Even at such a bargain price for a genuine best in position WC superstar I think the majority of clubs are still going to be financially prudent balancing the books with sales first in these totally uncertain financial times.

Off topic, but yesterday I found out that Napoli payd 80mil for 21 year old striker at beginning of transfer window. Strange that it went silently, considering mad ammount. So clubs have money or not thinging ahead.

If Manchester United can't beat Sevilla then I'll be bitterly disappointed and questioning where we are even at as a team. Look I understand we'll need to play well, but on paper we are clearly the better side. They do not have the same stars of the past like Reyes, Krychowiak, Rakitic, etc etc. it's exactly the type of game that suits us as well, it won't be a Wolves park the bus opponent with no space behind for our attackers to exploit.

A good test to see where we currently are as a team, I'm excited about this game. Wolves would have been anti-football.