The Photoshop Help Thread

i have got cs5 on trial can you get cs2-cs4 on trial?

do you get the update or the first 1

Hey there,

well.. i thought it would be a good idea to post a few links to photoshop trials etc and post a decent tutorial so people don't keep asking (even though i bet they will).
Trials:

Photoshop CS 2 Trial:

http://www.click-now.net/download/Adobe_Photoshop_CS2.htm

Photoshop CS 3 Trial:

http://www.soft32.com/download_346.html

Photoshop CS 5 Trial:

http://download.cnet.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Extended/3000-2192_4-10011172.html

GIMP:

http://gimp.en.softonic.com/

Tutorials:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRTHFGguJg"]YouTube- *NEW* How to make football kits on Photoshop [Basic Tutorial][/ame]

I didn't write up this tutorial, i found it on another fourm:

we want to find a good picture of Fulhams home shirt. Normally I would go to www.kitbag.com to see if the team is featured there, but Fulham weren't....so the next step is their official website instead. I found this in their shop:

fulhamreal.png

After that, we want to find a good LG logo, so it's Google time. From a 'LG logo' search, I found this:

lglogo.jpg

And the last thing on our list is to find the club logo, Google again:

fulhamlogo.jpg

So now we have all the resources we need to make the kit. Now it's time to build it.

Step 3: Finding the right template

Unpack the megapack file, and head into the Templates - Nike folder. To find the correct template, we will need to look for the prominent features of the Fulham kit; rounded collar and a seam going from the collar all the way down to the cuffs.

After checking through all the kits, we can see that the Nike - 5 design is probably the closest.

Step 4: Photoshop - Colours

Start Photoshop and load the Nike.psd located in the Nike folder (where we found the template). When Photoshop is loaded, press F7 to bring up the layers panel (if it isn't already loaded).

First thing we do is to double-click the 'Colour Overlay' effect in the 'shape' layer in the 'base' folder, here:

overlay.png

A layer style window should pop up, where you will see a red box. Clicking that box will allow you to change the colour. Click it and pick white, then press OK twice to close down the colour and layer style windows.

Your kit should now be white in the middle part, and still red on the arms, sides and collar.

Next, we will open up the 'Nike' folder in the layers panel, de-select the folder called 'Nike 39' by clicking the eye icon next to it. Then press the eye icon next to the folder 'nike 5', which is the template we decided was the correct one to use for the Fulham kit.

You should now see an empty white and black kit, similar to the Fulham kit, like this:

empty.png

Notice that the arms aren't fully correct though, as the black kit sleeves on the real kit ends along the arm seam, they don't go up to the collar like that on the front. That seems to be the only issue though, so lets start fixing the arms.

Step 5: Photoshop - Getting the arms right

In the 'nike 5' folder in your layers panel, you have three different folders. Expand the one that says 'Design'.

The two layers in here control:

1. The white seam going from the collar to the cuffs
2. The black arms and shoulder parts

We need to make sure the arms end correctly, so select the layer with the black arms (called 'Layer 78 copy') and then pick the Elliptical Marquee Tool:

marquee.png

Then make a big oval, that corresponds to the curve of the arms, like this:

selection.png

Now select the lasso tool:

lasso.png

Hold down SHIFT and start drawing within the white seam, from inside the oval selection we just did, all the way up to the collar. Then go straight up (we're still holding SHIFT), go back left towards the top of the oval selection, and when you're inside it, let go. You should end up with a selection like this:

selection2.png

Now do the same thing on the bottom of the oval selection. Hold SHIFT and draw a selection from the bottom of the oval, so we include the bottom part of the arm too, like this:

selection3.png

Now press M to get to the Elliptical Marquee Tool again, right-click inside the oval selection and pick 'Invert Selection'. Now press delete. The extra bit should disappear, and so should the other arm.

It should look like this now:

halfshirt.png

To get the other arm, we just right-click the arm layer ('Layer 78 copy') and pick 'Duplicate Layer', then OK. Now go to Edit - Transform - Flip Horizontal. Drag the arm to its correct position on the right, and now we have a correct base kit for the Fulham kit!
thbgrin.gif

Step 6: Photoshop - Nike Kit Logos

First off, head into the folder called 'Logos'. The first layer is the Nike logo, and it needs to be black. Double-click the Colour Overlay effect again, and pick black in the little colour box.

The next layer in this folder is the inside neck stamp. This should probably be a little darker, even though we can't see it in the picture we have. Double-click that layer ('Layer 505') to bring up the Layer Style window. In the left hand side, tick the 'Colour Overlay' and select it. Change the colour in the box to a medium gray.

Now if we take a look at the real kit, we can see that the only other logos related to Nike is a small logo in the bottom right. This means we won't be needing the next layer in the Logos folder (called 'Layer 41 copy'). Press the eye icon next to it to make it invisible.

Now select the last layer in this folder ('Layer 9 copy') and go to Edit - Transform - Flip Horizontal. Drag it to the other side of the shirt. Double click the Colour Overlay effect and pick a medium gray colour.

Step 7: Photoshop - Fulham Club Logo

Open up the big logo we found on the Google Image search (open it in Photoshop).

Select the Magic Wand tool:

wand.png

Make sure 'Contiguous' is ticked at the top of the screen, and set 'Tolerance' to 30:

wandsettings.png

Click the white area on the bottom left in the picture, and then hold SHIFT and click the other side. You should now have this selection:

selection10.png

Once again, press M, right-click one of the white spaces and 'Select Inverse'.

With the move tool selected (you can press 'V' to get to it quick), drag the logo to the kit.

You should now see a very big logo on top of the kit. Go to Edit - Transform - Scale. At the top of your window, click the little chain icon, and change the value 100% to 10%;

scale.png

If we look atthe real kit, we can see that the club logo is a little bigger than double the height of the Nike logo, so the 10% size actually worked very well this time. In other cases you would probably have to mess around with this percentage to get it just right.

Move the logo to the right hand side of the chest and press Enter.

We should have something like this now:

halfway.png

Step 8: Photoshop - LG Sponsor Logo

Using the same technique as when making the club logo, use the magic wand to select everything sround the LG logo and letters, right-click it, select inverse and then drag it to the kit tab.

Edit - Transform - Scale it to 50% and press enter.

Center it.

Now go to Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation and change the Hue to +20 and Saturation to +30, like this:

huesat.png

This is to make the LG logo more red and vibrant, as the original logo we found online was very dull.

Now go to Image - Adjustments - Brightness/Contrast and change Brightness to -30 and Contrast to 70, like this:

brightcont.png

We do this to make the LG letters a little darker, so that the sponsor logo is more prominent.

Step 9: Photoshop - Last details

Looking at the real kit, we can see that the Nike logo and the club logo is further down than what we have so far. Move them both down a couple of notches.

We can also see that the club logo is quite bright compared to the LG logo. Select the club logo layer and go to Image - Adjustments - Brightness/Contrast and change Brightness to -50 and Contrast to 70.

Now we're done with the basic kit, it should look like this now:

fulham1.png

Extra: Making it look more realistic

(most people don't do this and it is obvious they don't)

In my personal opinion, the texture effect on the LS'10 kits isn't that great. It is slightly too 'cartoonish' for my taste, so I've made a personal blend texture, as well as a couple of tricks I do when making new kits.

I also always go into the 'Collar' folder and find the inside shadow layer (in the 'nike 5' folder, the inside shadow layer is named 'Layer 554 copy'). Then double-click the 'Inner Shadow' effect and change the opacity to at least 85%. I also change the size slightly, to about 20-25, like this:

shadow.png

Last thing we do is add Premiership Badges on the arms, as it just makes it looks more realistic.

To add my texture and the arm badges, download my Textures & Extras PSD:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1897235/fm/T...6%20Extras.psd

Go to the Fulham kit file, find the folder called 'texture', and drag it to the little bin icon on the bottom right of the layers panel.

Now go to the Texture & Extras PSD, find the layer (or layer folder) you want to add, select it, hold SHIFT and drag it to the Fulham kit. By holding shift, it becomes automatically centered in the correct position.

You should drag the folders 'Texture Light' and 'Premier League Badges' to the Fulham kit.

Remember to hold SHIFT while dragging.

The Premiership badges might be hidden, so make sure the eye icon next to the folder is activated.

Now you're done.

fulham2.png

Exporting the image

The in-game kits use a size of 160x160 pixels, so in order to create a perfect tiny version of what we've just done, we go to File - Save for Web & Devices.

In this window, we have to pick the preset PNG-24 in the top right hand corner. Make sure 'Transparency' is ticked.

Further down you'll see the Image Size section, write '160' in one of the boxes and press enter. You should now see the kit in 160x160. Press 'Save' and save the file to your desktop as 'fulham1.png'.

That text tutorial is really bad, it cannot be applyed to any other kit other than Fulham.

perhaps.. but it gets the new kit maker into the routine of how to use certain aspects. It's how i started, then i went on from that and used the basics from that tutorial to help me on my way..so it isn't all bad. Sort of relies on the person to have an ounce of common sense too hehe

Different learning styles I guess, I know a lot have learned from my video though (I feel it is easier to watch, pause, follow).

i actually quite liked it, very well designed i thought.. although it was a tad empty on the left and right side, but maybe that was the idea. But i'm not an artist nor was i taught by anyone to do anything specific really. Hence why my kits and my work are as they are and not so conformist.

anyway, i digress. Great sig, sexy lass in the sig. but try and make the sides not look so vacant, even if it is a light pattern that s just noticable. But other than that..great stuff :)

is there a tutioral for photoshop cs2?

what about my current street sig? believe or not.. only started using photoshop about a month ago.. but i have been using sony vegas pro 9 for almost 2 years, probably why i have picked up alot of stuff quite quick :)

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

is there a tutioral for photoshop cs2?

the video and the text tutorial works for cs 2 mate

It looks nice saying you have only been using it for a month.

To be honest I have never made a white sig before hence why it looked empty but I tried to mask it with a red mist.

how do you get the different groups down the bottom right after you choose kit colour?

click on the desired folder..so if the folder is named "Nike" click on the little arrow next to the name and then you will be presented with lots of sub folders then click the arrow next to the subfolder you want to use then either click on the layers or on the small box to the left of the arrows.

the folders aint on there tho