What Roles and Duty's best suit my players?

• Thread starter Thread starter JP Woody
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 382K
Why is David Villa still playing so bad? I played loads of his games as poacher didn't score, so I started playing him Trequartista and he still doesn't score!

I dont find him as effective as a poacher i find much better as a Complete Striker make him target man with run onto ball ;)

Playing as 3-1-2-1-3 as Man City

Adler
Zapata Toure Lescott
de Jong
Hamsik Barry
Gourcuff
Aguero Adebayor Tevez

Thanks for advice :D

I'm trying as much as possible to replicate Barca's style of football, trying 4-3-3, 4-5-1 with inside forwards and a holding striker and finally settling on 4-2-3-1 after I picked up some world-class wingbacks (Lahm gives more options thane Abidal/Maxwell and Santon to reinforce Alves as first choice on the right). Yes, I know Barca don't play that style on paper, but with free roles it looks a lot more like Barca playing in the game than I've been able to recreate previously with 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 with the midfield not interacting with attacking fullbacks properly.

Now, my 'problem' is that 4-2-3-1 seems to suit Barca in real style with Xavi as a deep playmaker with the support role bossing the midfield with a roaming duty alongside a holding midfielder, wingers cutting in and roaming which allows the fullbacks to push up high as wingbacks to pressure the defence, with Ibra having a good influence....all good so far.

-However- the guy in the number 10 position seems to be the invisible man... I use (an admittedly slightly creaky) Xavi as the team's Designated Playmaker purely because I enjoy seeing him get as much of the ball as he does in the real team and split the defence from deep, but I can't help thinking the number 10 is suffering, it's almost as if he's pulling defenders away for the other players in the team to score and very rarely doing much beyond playing simple balls (not a bad thing in itself). I'd like to see some more of an active role from him and am wondering how any of you have managed to get the best from your number 10 playing a similar formation?

For reference I'm in 2014 and tend to play Pjanic, Ozil or Lodeiro in this position as an Advanced Playmaker with an Attack duty (although loaned Lodeiro out to Juve so he could benefit from their coaches and get some first team football, as he was constantly underperforming) and only really Pjanic seems to contribute. Money isn't much of a problem as Barca, but since I'm relatively new to playing 4-2-3-1 with a highly technical side using low-tempo possession football I'm wondering if I'm missing a trick.

So, what I'd like to know is:

To get the 'Ozil role' which I've loved watching at the WC, presumably I need to switch more to a Trequarista.. what roles and duties would fit this? Does this work well with inside forwards cutting in? What stats are critical for those roles/duties? Do you allow the player to roam or keep a rigid number 10 to support the 9?

To get the 'Kaka/Zidane' role with mazy runs through the defence and tricks (originally what I bought Lodeiro for) how do you set up the roles and duties for this?'

Do I keep playing this 'distraction' role which lets the rest of my team run riot? I don't want to pull the 'Xavi role' out of the game since it makes for beautiful football and is very successful with world-class wingers cutting in, but I can't but help think a stronger, more influencial player who's more of a Sheringham style of player would give more of a presence.

I'm currently managing Rangers and I've brought in a few new strikers to provide Kris Boyd some competition (although his goalscoring record is preventing them getting a chance at all, haha!)

Well, I've currently got Helder Postiga on loan and David Goodwillie from Dundee United, both of these I'm a little disappointed with and I'm unsure on what roles they're best suited to.

(Currently it's Boyd and Yannick Djalo leading my team on, but I'm wanting to give Goodwillie a good few games under his belt since all the times I've looked at the SPL leading goalscorers, he's usually up there with the likes of Boyd.)

Cheers in advance. :)

Okay, seems I worked some of it out, a lot is to do with the overall style of tactic. The fundamental problem with getting an Ozil like player is that if you play with a 'replicated' Germany style you're going to want an attacking midfidler with a roaming duty to be given space to turn and run, the issue with a patient build-up is he pushes too high up the pitch from a default number 10 position.

What worked for me was dropping Ozil to a support advanced playmaker, his finishing and longshots (at least in game for me) are pretty average for an elite club, so he's of much better use slipping a pass inside the fullback anyway and he plays like an absolute demon bossing the midfield with Xavi against weak teams and linking up the forwards. It seems if you set your Striker to target man with run onto the ball he's going to get a healthy amount of assists as he's effectively unmarked a lot of the time (2 wingers, 1 striker, 1 wingbacks bombing forward + Xavi as an outlet if I need to switch flanks). I'd recommend using him as an attacking playmaker only when playing counterattack or away from home, plus using your striker as a Poacher or Complete Forward without too much in the way of dropping off duties (otherwise they both want to do the same thing in the same bit of space).

you could try dzeko and zigic as supporting target men with villa as an advanced forward. tbh you could try loads of combos with them 3, as they are very versatile

I am currently playing as Liverpool with a default 4-2-3-1 formation.

I have Lucas and Mascherano and DM
Gerrard, Benayoun and Kuyt as CAM, LM and RM respectively.
And of course Torres as ST.

Any ideas which roles would work best, taking into consideration I like to have offensive full-backs.

Darren Bent? Ended up paying £15million due to his goalscoring rate in the premiership for Sunderland, something like 28 goals in 38 appearances.

he needs to have a strike partner, because he cant really create his own chances. you could play him as:

an advanced forward alongside a poacher
a poacher alongside a DLF
or an advanced forward alongside a tall target man.

these should all suit him well.

he needs to have a strike partner, because he cant really create his own chances. you could play him as:

an advanced forward alongside a poacher
a poacher alongside a DLF
or an advanced forward alongside a tall target man.

these should all suit him well.

Thanking you :D

Started a new save with Bolton, playing a 4-2-3-1.

Not sure what to set Arturo Vidal and Michael Bradley as?

Thanks, this is my first post by the way :'( ;)

To anyone who is doubting Robinho's ability to playmake as an AMC-attack (yes AMC :D) here :D

work rate of 5 only! but look at that assist :D not worried about his goal scoring ratio since his assist is woo

started with lyon, lopez out injured and only have lukaku, gomis and tafer available.
cant get gomis to score, tried playing 451 and 442 but not sure what role to play gomis as.
any ideas?View attachment 84085

I need a role for lucas barrios at dortmund, he is playing with rangelov as deep lying forward... cheers

I need a role for lucas barrios at dortmund, he is playing with rangelov as deep lying forward... cheers

try him as an Target Man - Attack // ignore that he is fast

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

started with lyon, lopez out injured and only have lukaku, gomis and tafer available.
cant get gomis to score, tried playing 451 and 442 but not sure what role to play gomis as.
any ideas?View attachment 84085

Deep Lying Forward - Attack

What roles would you give Rodwell and Palombo when playing them as your 2 CMs in a 4-4-2

Hey just started playing and was looking for a tactic to use with arsenal usual squad plus Van der Wiel, Van Der Vaart, Miquel Veloso and Skelenburg. I sold Silvestre, Almunia,

What roles would you give Rodwell and Palombo when playing them as your 2 CMs in a 4-4-2

Rodwell becomes a pretty effective box-to-box player and palombo is a great ball-winning-midfielder. He can do support and defend equally well but in a 4-4-2 i'd probably use him in the support role.

pic no.1 & 2 are 2 regens who are only capable of playing striker at the moment.

which roles u think suits them best? or should i train them a new position? (i don't play amc in my formation) thx...

and here comes pic 3... the hardest question for me in the squard. Anybody is getting the best out of him?

Cheers!

Well, Fabregas should be Advanced Playmaker. :)

Back