White Vaart Lane!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Tehkid
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 127
  • Views Views 7K
but thats what i dont understand, regardless who you are or what the reason is, i thought a deadline means thats it. if you had a deadling to hand in a piece of coursework at school/college and you asked for an extra today or sank, i think your'll find you failed. so basicly a deadline in the transfer window means nothing.

A couple of years ago Benjani's transfer from pompey to man city (i think) went through a couple of hours after the deadline because he fell asleep :P

but thats what i dont understand, regardless who you are or what the reason is, i thought a deadline means thats it. if you had a deadling to hand in a piece of coursework at school/college and you asked for an extra today or sank, i think your'll find you failed. so basicly a deadline in the transfer window means nothing.

I can see where you're coming from, but if a club can prove that the delay was 'not of their doing' and they made a real effort to complete the deal before the deadline, it would be stupid to veto the deal for the sake of a 5 minute delay -- if we can't prove we made a real effort to get it in on time then it won't go through, that's what the meeting (taking place as we speak) is all about. With digital imprints and the like that we have nowadays, Spurs should be able to prove (if they're not lying) that they tried to fax, email, or whatever, the details before the deadline.

From what I have read Spurs are blaming slow servers from the deal being done on time with Madrid. Mind you that was read from tribalfootball.com.

If this is the problem then we should be ok and the deal should go through -- like I said in a previous post, if we're telling the truth, then there will be a digital imprint somewhere along the line and that is key to this deal going through.

im not doubting there is a general reason for the delay, im hoping the deal goes through, VDV is a top quality player and lets be honest, its a signing your north london rivals wouldnt of been able to pull off ;) but i just thought a deadline is there for a reason.

but i just thought a deadline is there for a reason.

It is, but look at it this way...

I set you a dealine of 9pm to submit an essay. You submit the essay via yahoo at 8.55pm. The yahoo server isn't working properly (for whatever reason) and I don't receive your mail until 9.30pm. Did you miss the deadline? If I say you did, I'm sure you would say -- "Look at the submission time and I think you'll find I didn't."

That's why the FA have 'special dispensation'. But you must be able to prove it.

It is, but look at it this way...

I set you a dealine of 9pm to submit an essay. You submit the essay via yahoo at 8.55pm. The yahoo server isn't working properly (for whatever reason) and I don't receive your mail until 9.30pm. Did you miss the deadline? If I say you did, I'm sure you would say -- "Look at the submission time and I think you'll find I didn't."

That's why the FA have 'special dispensation'. But you must be able to prove it.

yeah but not to be picky, an essay doesnt really compare to a mulit billion business where millions off pounds are involved in an email

yeah but not to be picky, an essay doesnt really compare to a mulit billion business where millions off pounds are involved in an email

How else are they going to get the details to the FA? And not to be picky, but a multi-million pound business would probably argue the case of a late essay being insignificant in terms of their multi-million pound deal. Technical issues are technical issues, no matter who you are.

edit -- I may have read you're reply in the wrong sense?

Last edited:
How else are they going to get the details to the FA? And not to be picky, but a multi-million pound business would probably argue the case of a late essay being insignificant in terms of their multi-million pound deal. Technical issues are technical issues, no matter who you are.

listen, i dont care what the excuses are, a deadline is a deadline let alone what has happened.

listen, i dont care what the excuses are, a deadline is a deadline let alone what has happened.

And rules are rules -- I refer you to Berbatov and his transfer to Manchester United.

Edit -- there must be a 'special dispensation' ruling in the FA guidleines somewhere otherwise this thread would be dead by now and the deal would have been cancelled -- no other clubs have moaned about Tottenham's request either, so it's obviously a ruling that all clubs know about and rely on using from time to time.

If we can't prove we did everything in the correct manner and deserve a little grace, then the FA will stick two fingers up at us and the deal will be off.

Some good news -- Real Madrid have said they submitted all their paperwork on time, so it's down to us now.

Last edited:
At the end of the day wether it was 2 mins late or not due to so called server problems, common sense needs to prevail. One business is paying another eight million, its stopping a player playing for a club that wants him. Yes a deadline is that but it should go through if it is proven that the paperwork was done on time. If they block this and we hear of no other deals then they set a precedent for all windows.

Transfer confirmed on Sky Sports News.

VDV signs for Tottenham Hotspur.

Back