XeNoN's 4-1-2-2-1 (Whole Season Unbeaten)

I played with West Bromwich and I became 4th in my first season. I played an attacking 4-1-2-2-1 and now I realize that my tactic was very similar to yours, the only difference was the deep lying playmaker. I played with a ballwinning midfielder instead. My best player were Alex Teixeira as AML inside forward and Chris Brunt as AMR winger. They were simply brilliant.

Thank you!

Hi Xenon!

Are your tactics still working with 12.1.0. ??????

THX!

Hi Xenon!

Are your tactics still working with 12.1.0. ??????

THX!

Barely any ME changes so I would expect so.

- Toned down corner delivery
- Harder to get header on target under pressure
- Better AI attacking corner set-up
- Tweaked AI use of touchline instruction
- Fixed a bug relating related to positioning of full backs in defensive third
- Fixed defensive line pushing up on goal kick leaving team vulnerable to header back over their heads for forward to run onto

Hi Xenon!

first of all thanks for sharing this magnificent tactic, i found this tactic is very solid defensively and can give you dominant possession.

one (very) small issue for me using this tactic is, sometimes it's very difficult to score even though i have have so many chances, the wingers in this case usually just shoot the ball straight to the gk even though he's in very tight angle and has option to pass the ball. so to address this, i tick the counter attack and use target man in team instructions and it seems to help to imporve the scoring. is there any specific reason you untick counter attack and target man?

cheers

Xenon hello two questions as the preparation match set? dmc pirlo pirlo cc cc or vidal vidal dmc excuse my bad English

Hi Xenon!

first of all thanks for sharing this magnificent tactic, i found this tactic is very solid defensively and can give you dominant possession.

one (very) small issue for me using this tactic is, sometimes it's very difficult to score even though i have have so many chances, the wingers in this case usually just shoot the ball straight to the gk even though he's in very tight angle and has option to pass the ball. so to address this, i tick the counter attack and use target man in team instructions and it seems to help to imporve the scoring. is there any specific reason you untick counter attack and target man?

cheers

Because the team doesn't counter and I don't play target man. Anyway, yeah wingers not finding the pass is an issue. It's one I hope I can fix though for now I can't. Will be improving that aspect soon though ;)

just wanna say this:

[FONT=&quot]
G9hNd.jpg
[/FONT]

its from http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-testing-project-football-manager-2012-a.html

Xenon

I remember you were looking into tweaking this tactic to make it better. Is that still something your looking into?

Steve

I played with West Bromwich and I became 4th in my first season. I played an attacking 4-1-2-2-1 and now I realize that my tactic was very similar to yours, the only difference was the deep lying playmaker. I played with a ballwinning midfielder instead. My best player were Alex Teixeira as AML inside forward and Chris Brunt as AMR winger. They were simply brilliant.

haha,thought i was the only one!!!
but instead of playing a 4-1-2-2-1, i played a flat 4-3-2-1 (BTB---BWM---DLP) with arsenal! won the premier league making 100 points and with the best defense and attack! also won carling cup!

cheers!

Last edited:
@ Xenon - I'm thinking of using your tactics but which is better, this 41221, the 4231 or the 424 (4222)?

Also, I love to use AMC type of players, can a player like Kovacic fit in your 41221 and 424 or only the 4231? I know you said in this thread the MRC is a playmaker but is Kovacic still too attacking for that position?

I'm Man Utd btw in 1st season, Kovacic was just an example of a player I really like in FM. I play Rooney in AMC role in FuSS' V.04B atm but I'm looking to switch to your tactics as I concede too many with his one. I'm like you, I like to keep clean sheets and not concede every game. I'm already 12 games in though and have conceded 14 goals already with FuSS' tactic.

Hope you can help me.

Last edited:
Love this tactic - well done XeNoN!

I was very surprised to see some of the tactical instructions when I downloaded the tactic that it was so tight at the back. I have done a half season test with Fulham (no transfers) and only conceeded 11 goals. I had only lost 1 game and was still in all the cups etc / 3rd in the Premiership& had not conceeded a single goal in the Europa League.

I did notice a few things - it is more solid at the back if the AMR/L are set to take short throw ins (they will normally recieve the ball back ready to start a run or pass) & a creative ST with a bit of pace gets goals and also supports the attack really well (just make sure your wingers are more ST types that can finish! Bryan Ruiz was amazing at AML and Dembele was much better than Johnson or Zamora.

Hope that helps people!

Again brilliant effort XeNoN - am going to start a career save using this tactic

Love this tactic - well done XeNoN!

I was very surprised to see some of the tactical instructions when I downloaded the tactic that it was so tight at the back. I have done a half season test with Fulham (no transfers) and only conceeded 11 goals. I had only lost 1 game and was still in all the cups etc / 3rd in the Premiership& had not conceeded a single goal in the Europa League.

I did notice a few things - it is more solid at the back if the AMR/L are set to take short throw ins (they will normally recieve the ball back ready to start a run or pass) & a creative ST with a bit of pace gets goals and also supports the attack really well (just make sure your wingers are more ST types that can finish! Bryan Ruiz was amazing at AML and Dembele was much better than Johnson or Zamora.

Hope that helps people!

Again brilliant effort XeNoN - am going to start a career save using this tactic

Thanks a lot!