Just finished my 4th season and done unbeaten...i know people won't be that impressed but i still pretty much still have the same Liverpool team...i don't have any world beaters like a Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar...Salah is probably still the best player i have and he's not that level...but anyway

View attachment 1149646View attachment 1149647View attachment 1149648View attachment 1149649

solid defensively, kept 30 clean sheets, only conceded 10...will now try my luck on another file

Did you play with just 1 tactic? If so, which version?

So new save, new club. My hometown club AaB Aalborg in the Danish Superliga.

First season was brilliant, won the league. I was predicted to a midtable finish. Managed to get some decent loan signings in Sierhuis and Eiting from Ajax. Sierhuis scored 27 league goals in the first season. 2nd season is just started and got 3 more loan signings; Hussem Aouar in Lyon, Sergio Diaz in Real Madrid and Atakan Akkaynak in Leverkusen.

Aalborg started in the first qualifying round, so the road to the groups were long and ment a tight program as the Danish league already starts in mid July. I knocked out FC Prishtina in the first round, then HJK Helsinki, then Celtic and finally Dinamo Zagreb.

Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Basel is my CL group. Just played my first game at home to Atletico, that went well as you can see.

I think that it's safe to say that this tactic works with all kinds of clubs.

View attachment 64315

So new save, new club. My hometown club AaB Aalborg in the Danish Superliga.

First season was brilliant, won the league. I was predicted to a midtable finish. Managed to get some decent loan signings in Sierhuis and Eiting from Ajax. Sierhuis scored 27 league goals in the first season. 2nd season is just started and got 3 more loan signings; Hussem Aouar in Lyon, Sergio Diaz in Real Madrid and Atakan Akkaynak in Leverkusen.

Aalborg started in the first qualifying round, so the road to the groups were long and ment a tight program as the Danish league already starts in mid July. I knocked out FC Prishtina in the first round, then HJK Helsinki, then Celtic and finally Dinamo Zagreb.

Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Basel is my CL group. Just played my first game at home to Atletico, that went well as you can see.

I think that it's safe to say that this tactic works with all kinds of clubs.

View attachment 1149685

Do you always play with an offensive mentality?

How I manage a team in FM18.

It's the same no matter what club, what league or what country i'm in.

I've been playing CM/FM since 93/94 and I must admit that until FM18, i've been a lazy ******* leaving most tasks to my assistant because you could just download plug and play tactics and win everything.

There are probably tactics in FM18 that you can do the same with, imo this is not one of them, you have to actually make sure that your team has the best conditions to make it work.

The team

I start with looking at my first team and reserve team. I always tend to have at least 2 players for each position and I aim to get 2 almost equally good players for each position, that way you can start rotating which imo is very important when you qualify for European football. That makes a team of around 23-25 players. The rest of the players are put up for sale. Take a look at your reserve team, there are often decent players but also player with high wages that should be sold to help your finances.

Training

After that I fix the training program. I train each player in the same position as they play in my tactic. Strikers are trained as Complete forwards, defensive midfielders as halfbacks and so on. I use heavy fitness training during preseason and when the season starts I change to balanced. As match training I use attacking movement. Make sure by the way that you always, when possible, apply for better training facilities.

Coaches

When it comes to training, it's also important to have the right coaches. I always look at my coaches before each season and sees if there's anyone who can be replaced by somebody who's better. Make sure you decided each coach's trainingjob, don't let your assistant do it, he's no good at it. Take a look at what each coach is good at and assign him to that job.

Scouting

I start scouting from day one, i've found many useful players that way and even more not useful players, but it is worth the while. Make sure your scouts have the right skills, if not, then sack them and find some new ones. If you want to scout, let's say Brazil, then it's not necessary to find a Brazilian scout or somebody with experience from Brazil (Though it does help), just make sure he as a high adaptability rating. I assign scouts to every big country, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, Argentina and Brazil. I also assign scouts to Africa, North America, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. For some reason I don't scout Great Britain as all the young talents always plays in the big clubs and are very expensive. That's only my opinion though. I scout for young players, no more than 18 years. Once or twice a year I take a look at all the U19 teams of the european countries and Brazil and Argentina. There are usually some very exciting prospects.

Youth

Probably the part of the game I like the most, bringing up a young player from your reserves or youth team and play him in the 1st team. Make sure your head of youth recruitment is a good one, just like the coaches, make sure you always have the best possible. Also make sure that your facilities are constantly updated. Junior Coaching budget, Youth facilities and Youth recruitment, just beg your board all the time, always ask for improvements whenever possible. After 5-6 seasons my transfers are more or less only young players for my youth team and after another 2 seasons I become self supplying in players for the 1st team.

Matchday

I let my assistant handle the press and OI. But I do my own teamtalk and halftime talk. Teamtalk is very important, you want to encourage your players, make them believe in winning this match. If I'm the favourite i make sure that I expect my team to win this match, if there are any players that are unhappy with that, then address the players one by one and assure them that you have faith in them, that usually helps. If I'm the underdog, I always tell the team that there's no pressure on them, that actually works most of the times. If I lead by one goal at halftime, I tell my players that they're okay, but they can improve. If I lead by 2 goals or more, I praise them. If I'm behind or drawing I get aggressive and tell them that I expect more than this.

I use shouts during the game as well, mostly "Demand more" or "Get creative". At the end of a game, if i'm only leading by one or two goals, I use "Tighten Up". If I'm really poor and losing I use "Demand more" and at rare occasions "Show some passion". I believe that shouts actually does work and can be the difference between losing and winning. The same with teamtalks and halftime talks.

Press

Honestly I don't care about other managers and what they say about me, I just act neutral. I do praise my players as often as I can. Everytime they win an award, becomes man of the match, gets their first international game or score their first international goal, I praise them. This is to get a good relationship with your players and to get a good atmosphere at your club.

This is more or less how i play FM18.

Sir....thanks for your info. mean you always use OI set by your AM?

How I manage a team in FM18.

It's the same no matter what club, what league or what country i'm in.

I've been playing CM/FM since 93/94 and I must admit that until FM18, i've been a lazy ******* leaving most tasks to my assistant because you could just download plug and play tactics and win everything.

There are probably tactics in FM18 that you can do the same with, imo this is not one of them, you have to actually make sure that your team has the best conditions to make it work.

The team

I start with looking at my first team and reserve team. I always tend to have at least 2 players for each position and I aim to get 2 almost equally good players for each position, that way you can start rotating which imo is very important when you qualify for European football. That makes a team of around 23-25 players. The rest of the players are put up for sale. Take a look at your reserve team, there are often decent players but also player with high wages that should be sold to help your finances.

Training

After that I fix the training program. I train each player in the same position as they play in my tactic. Strikers are trained as Complete forwards, defensive midfielders as halfbacks and so on. I use heavy fitness training during preseason and when the season starts I change to balanced. As match training I use attacking movement. Make sure by the way that you always, when possible, apply for better training facilities.

Coaches

When it comes to training, it's also important to have the right coaches. I always look at my coaches before each season and sees if there's anyone who can be replaced by somebody who's better. Make sure you decided each coach's trainingjob, don't let your assistant do it, he's no good at it. Take a look at what each coach is good at and assign him to that job.

Scouting

I start scouting from day one, i've found many useful players that way and even more not useful players, but it is worth the while. Make sure your scouts have the right skills, if not, then sack them and find some new ones. If you want to scout, let's say Brazil, then it's not necessary to find a Brazilian scout or somebody with experience from Brazil (Though it does help), just make sure he as a high adaptability rating. I assign scouts to every big country, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, Argentina and Brazil. I also assign scouts to Africa, North America, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. For some reason I don't scout Great Britain as all the young talents always plays in the big clubs and are very expensive. That's only my opinion though. I scout for young players, no more than 18 years. Once or twice a year I take a look at all the U19 teams of the european countries and Brazil and Argentina. There are usually some very exciting prospects.

Youth

Probably the part of the game I like the most, bringing up a young player from your reserves or youth team and play him in the 1st team. Make sure your head of youth recruitment is a good one, just like the coaches, make sure you always have the best possible. Also make sure that your facilities are constantly updated. Junior Coaching budget, Youth facilities and Youth recruitment, just beg your board all the time, always ask for improvements whenever possible. After 5-6 seasons my transfers are more or less only young players for my youth team and after another 2 seasons I become self supplying in players for the 1st team.

Matchday

I let my assistant handle the press and OI. But I do my own teamtalk and halftime talk. Teamtalk is very important, you want to encourage your players, make them believe in winning this match. If I'm the favourite i make sure that I expect my team to win this match, if there are any players that are unhappy with that, then address the players one by one and assure them that you have faith in them, that usually helps. If I'm the underdog, I always tell the team that there's no pressure on them, that actually works most of the times. If I lead by one goal at halftime, I tell my players that they're okay, but they can improve. If I lead by 2 goals or more, I praise them. If I'm behind or drawing I get aggressive and tell them that I expect more than this.

I use shouts during the game as well, mostly "Demand more" or "Get creative". At the end of a game, if i'm only leading by one or two goals, I use "Tighten Up". If I'm really poor and losing I use "Demand more" and at rare occasions "Show some passion". I believe that shouts actually does work and can be the difference between losing and winning. The same with teamtalks and halftime talks.

Press

Honestly I don't care about other managers and what they say about me, I just act neutral. I do praise my players as often as I can. Everytime they win an award, becomes man of the match, gets their first international game or score their first international goal, I praise them. This is to get a good relationship with your players and to get a good atmosphere at your club.

This is more or less how i play FM18.

Hello all, I just used this tactic for my first season with Cork city after moving from Oxford city.
I used the V3 tweaked tactic. However I would alter the mentality dependant on my opposition.

I managed to win a few side trophies and perform really well in the league, I was really close to winning it
unfortunately Dundalk was to good. Just to note you will have a lot of chances at goal with this tactic, quite
often I would be having 15-20 shots at goal but only averaging about 6 on target. Im sure this tactic would
be a lot better if all my players were fully suited to the roles assigned.

I'll come back to this tactic in a few seasons time, I want to play with 2/3 strikers in my next tactic as I have 2
promising youth intake strikers ready for first team football.

Appreciate the tactic! GW

View attachment 64244 View attachment 64243 View attachment 64242

Last edited:
I know this has probably been covered somewhere in this thread before, but do the wingers need to be inverted preferably or are normal wingers fine?