Barcelona after Messi, Xavi and Iniesta - Your view

The problem for me is Cesc not realising that Barcelona had their chance to keep him, but chose not to. Barcelona are claiming Cesc wanted to go to Arsenal and Pique wanting to go to Man Utd, failing to realise that the reason they left the club in the first place is because Barcelona showed no willingness to keep them.

They both grew up in the club, and both would have stayed, if Barca showed faith in them. But they didn't. Barcelona failed to see the potential in them, and now when Arsenal and Man Utd have polished them into diamonds, Barcelona come crawling back, with a disingenuous approach of "we never wanted to let them go in the first place".

I do believe Cesc will end up at Barca, but I'm sad that he doesn't realise how Barca has insulted him, his talent and the club that formed him into one of the best midfielders in the world, by:

1. Letting him go in the first place

2. Setting his value at £29m

3. Blatantly tapping him up

4. Talking FOR him in the press

It's corrupt, just like Barca in general.

Im sure if they go it will be a blow to Barcelona but one Messi can go on for at least 10 more years and said he wont leave ever. Iniesta has not so much time but enough for someone else to be brought through such as Thiago and Jonathen dos Santos.

To the Arsenal fans; It is only a matter of time before Cesc returns to Spain. I mean every player has a price right? Arsenal are not going to hold onto an unhappy player are they? Look at Man United we wanted to hold onto Ronaldo but he had his heart set on Real Madrid and when they offered 80 million it was snapped up. If Barcelona stay interested in Cesc then there will be an offer Arsenal will not refuse and he will be gone IMO.

Well yes I am funny. :p

I have to agree on you on the Barca shirt prank. I didn't like what they did back then as soon as I saw it. That's just wrong especially doing it publicly.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6161191,00.html

I don't know if that's a reliable report for you or not, but it's from SSN.

I believe at one point Cesc did express him wanting to go out to Barca though.
Was there any statement that he certainly said that he never had the desire to leave Arsenal?

But mehh, I think they just voice their opinion and it's still fair, but sometimes the media just overtwisted it.

But yeah I get it if Arsenal fans or basically any Barca haters, hate how Barca is perceived in the media.

They've taken the second part of the quote CJ provided. AS is a spanish paper, and most spanish papers twist pretty much everything anyone says.

Fabregas talked to Wenger about his future, yes. He was the subject of a bid, Wenger said I want you to stay, Cesc stayed. He never handed in a transfer request, and he never said he wanted to go, just that if he DID leave, it would be to Barca, rather than Madrid/City/whoever.

They voice their opinion knowing full well what the media will report, and knowing full well it's likely to unsettle Fabregas. It's called tapping up, except Barca can't afford to do it as a club, and aren't actually interested, they just think they own him, when they don't.

It's arrogance.

30 million was just a first bid though right? I don't think starting a lower bid and then negotiate or higher it overtime is an insult. That's just negotiating.

Asking on a lower price is certainly better than offering a way overpriced bid such as.. well I don't really want to name anyone here as everyone's opinion is different on a price.

Barca stated that they weren't able to meet Arsenal's demand

Arsenal didn't demand anything. £30m is completely disrespectful. Why make a bid if it's not serious? That was never going to be accepted, and they didn't make another bid, they went to the media and made stuff up.

£30m isn't enough. £40m isn't enough. £50m isn't enough. He's not for sale.

..And still...

Stop being so naive.

I know your a Barca fan and therefore everything can be settled with a little bribe and some corruption but seriously?

The bid was embarrassing and utterly disrespectful, £30 is never going to swing it. Neither will £50m. Arsenal have said he's not for sale. Full stop.

United said Ronaldo wasn't for sale - look where he is.
Liverpool said Torres wasn't for sale - look where he is.

clubs can say whatever they want, unfortunately players have too much power nowadays.

And Barcelona are arrogant because they're the best team in the world? Much like United fans and to a certain extent Liverpool fans are. Success = Arrogance.

Jesus christ, some of the stuff being said in this thread about Barca corrupt and generic slagging off of them is to be quite honest, frankly ******* embarrassing.

Yes we know you don't like Barca but you don't need to continue your one man vendetta against them.

United said Ronaldo wasn't for sale - look where he is.
Liverpool said Torres wasn't for sale - look where he is.

clubs can say whatever they want, unfortunately players have too much power nowadays.

And Barcelona are arrogant because they're the best team in the world? Much like United fans and to a certain extent Liverpool fans are. Success = Arrogance.

Arrogant because they believe every player in the world belongs to them. Before all of these transfers, it's built up in the media in a deliberate attempt to tap up and unsettle players. Happened with Villa, happening with Fabregas.

Ronaldo is a poor example. Utd needed the money with Glazers plunging them in debt. Yes they didn't have to sell, but their financial situation isn't as positive as Arsenal's. Plus he's an egotistic, arrogant little so and so.

Torres is a difficult one. Didn't think he'd leave tbh, didn't seem like that kind of player. But it's one thing going from a club you've been at for almost 10 years, 2nd in the PL, and getting better all the time than leaving a club in decline at that moment, poor financial situation and not looking especially likely to win anything any time soon.

Last edited:
Jesus christ, some of the stuff being said in this thread about Barca corrupt and generic slagging off of them is to be quite honest, frankly ******* embarrassing.

I'd rather be embarrassing than corrupt. ;)

Arsenal didn't demand anything. £30m is completely disrespectful. Why make a bid if it's not serious? That was never going to be accepted, and they didn't make another bid, they went to the media and made stuff up.

£30m isn't enough. £40m isn't enough. £50m isn't enough. He's not for sale.

It's not disrespectful, it's called negotiating.

Liverpool at first bid £13m for Suarez however Ajax wanted £30m for him, we went back and forth etc and we eventually got him roughly in the middle for £22m ish.

So if Barca come in straight away all guns blazing with an offer of £50m then Arsenal will smell meat then try and get as much from them as possible. Again, going to media etc, it's all part of the transfer process in football nowadays. Chelsea did it to Torres. We did it to Suarez. Barca doing it to Cesc. It all ends in the same outcome. Player signs for club.

So please for one moment quit your ******** and moaning.

Yes we know you don't like Barca but you don't need to continue your one man vendetta against them.

It's not a one-man vendetta. It's my opinion, based on suspicious deals with Qatar and Barcelona. Even Blatter admitted votes were exchanged.

Don't read it if you don't like it, tbh.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

It's not disrespectful, it's called negotiating.

Liverpool at first bid £13m for Suarez however Ajax wanted £30m for him, we went back and forth etc and we eventually got him roughly in the middle for £22m ish.

So if Barca come in straight away all guns blazing with an offer of £50m then Arsenal will smell meat then try and get as much from them as possible. Again, going to media etc, it's all part of the transfer process in football nowadays. Chelsea did it to Torres. We did it to Suarez. Barca doing it to Cesc. It all ends in the same outcome. Player signs for club.

So please for one moment quit your ******** and moaning.

Except it happened for the whole season, and we said we wouldn't sell time and time again.

That's not a negotiating bid for me. Arsenal were never going to negotiate with that kind of offer.

Except it happened for the whole season, and we said we wouldn't sell time and time again.

That's not a negotiating bid for me. Arsenal were never going to negotiate with that kind of offer.

Yes, to unsettle him. Whilst I don't agree it is right, every club does it. As I said, recent examples being Liverpool and Chelsea. IMO, it was a negotiating offer, may as well try and get him on the cheap.

Yes, to unsettle him. Whilst I don't agree it is right, every club does it. As I said, recent examples being Liverpool and Chelsea. IMO, it was a negotiating offer, may as well try and get him on the cheap.
i agree with this. its not particularly pleasant, but barca were simply hardballing arsenal.

Barca cant afford him

Arsenal value him at 70 to 80 Million

Yes, to unsettle him. Whilst I don't agree it is right, every club does it.

This is simply not true. And there are varying degrees of unsettling. Systematically instructing your players to talk about Cesc at all times to go around tapping up laws, for the length of several months, claiming he already belongs to Barca, bidding ridiculous sums and then acting belligerent when the bid fails...is a level of unsettling I've never seen before or since.

As I said, I think he'll go, maybe even this summer. But to be perfectly honest, anything under £60m is insulting. If Torres is worth £50m, Carroll worth £35m and Chygrynski worth £26m....Cesc is worth £100m.

It's the same as Ronaldo really though, United didn't want to sell him and saying that it was to reduce debt is rubbish, we sustain our debt so paying it off early has no rewards.

Everyone these days has their price. Barca will come in the summer with a ridiculous offer that sways Cesc and he will go. I'd say about £60mil but it's a silly price.

Atm, if any of them get injured then they will obviously by in trouble due to lack of depth but when they retire they will probably have some ready made replacements lined up from the academy.

We have enough depth for every position ATM!

God some of the **** people are saying about how Barca are corrupt etc. its all nonsense, give me some evidence and i might actually bother to take you seriosly

where is the proof they're corrupt?
it's all just wild speculation....

No it's not. The latest example is the corruption in the Qatar affair, where the new "shirt sponsorship" is just a payoff to Barcelona for helping them get a lucrative World Cup event.

Another example is the financial doping. Barca have bank loans for hundreds of millions, in a catalan bank that will never ever ask for loan repayments. Hardly fair play, but of course Barca goes around it as usual, by pretending to be clean.

If you know anything about Catalonia and their political position in Spain, this shouldn't come as a surprise. The way Barca acts towards other clubs is how Catalonia acts towards the rest of Spain.

This is simply not true. And there are varying degrees of unsettling. Systematically instructing your players to talk about Cesc at all times to go around tapping up laws, for the length of several months, claiming he already belongs to Barca, bidding ridiculous sums and then acting belligerent when the bid fails...is a level of unsettling I've never seen before or since.

As I said, I think he'll go, maybe even this summer. But to be perfectly honest, anything under £60m is insulting. If Torres is worth £50m, Carroll worth £35m and Chygrynski worth £26m....Cesc is worth £100m.

again, find me proof that Barcelona instructed their players to talk about Cesc? Maybe then i'll believe you.

As Alex said, every club offers a low amount to start with - football is business - and business negotiate.

How is Cesc worth £100M when two of the best strikers in the world (Torres & Villa) both went for less than that. COMBINED. Also, the 2nd best player in the world went for £80M, and Fabregas isn't better than Ronaldo, or Kaka at that.

Arsenal and their fans should accept that £50-60M is a good price for him

The problem for me is Cesc not realising that Barcelona had their chance to keep him, but chose not to. Barcelona are claiming Cesc wanted to go to Arsenal and Pique wanting to go to Man Utd, failing to realise that the reason they left the club in the first place is because Barcelona showed no willingness to keep them.

They both grew up in the club, and both would have stayed, if Barca showed faith in them. But they didn't. Barcelona failed to see the potential in them, and now when Arsenal and Man Utd have polished them into diamonds, Barcelona come crawling back, with a disingenuous approach of "we never wanted to let them go in the first place".

I do believe Cesc will end up at Barca, but I'm sad that he doesn't realise how Barca has insulted him, his talent and the club that formed him into one of the best midfielders in the world, by:

1. Letting him go in the first place

2. Setting his value at £29m

3. Blatantly tapping him up

4. Talking FOR him in the press

It's corrupt, just like Barca in general.

1. It was a mistake by Barcelona to let him go in the first place, agreed they did not pay much attention to him

2. They did not set his value at 29m, they just set that as a base price for further negotiations

3. They tapped him up to increase speculation about him and put more pressure on Arsenal to sell him

5. Same reason as above

Dont see how that makes them corrupt in reference to your last sentence