Darren Bent hands in transfer request?!?!

not bad for spurs-get 10% of transfer fee. Christopher Sambas being linked with Villa too I'm hearing, but remains to be seen if that happens. Curious about this sudden injection of cash? Lerner win the Euro lotter or something lol

He is a billionaire.

Great Great Signing... Villa need to boast up there Defence slightly i think, but with youngsters such as Clarke and Albrighton, they will finish in a half decent position this year ready to make an assault on the top 6 next year.

I still don't really understand why, after we effectively saved his career, he was so desperate to leave?

I still don't really understand why, after we effectively saved his career, he was so desperate to leave?

Still 18Million pounds may rise to 24 Million. Even if he had not put in a transfer request Sunderland would have accepted the bid i think.

And yes he should have showed some loyalty there. Sunderland brought his career back on track and he should have payed them back by staying and improving league position.

Still a better team than sunderland... downing although you say over rated has been one of villa's best players this season... and by handing in a transfer request more clubs will become interested knowing he is available because he is a brilliant goalscorer given the chance

And how exactly are Villa a better team than Sunderland?? If I remember correctly we have beaten them 1-0 home and away this season and when I last checked the table Sunderland were sitting 4 points clear of 7th spot and Villa were 17th so your logic is sadly lacking im afraid!

And how exactly are Villa a better team than Sunderland?? If I remember correctly we have beaten them 1-0 home and away this season and when I last checked the table Sunderland were sitting 4 points clear of 7th spot and Villa were 17th so your logic is sadly lacking im afraid!

Well Sunderland didn't lose their manager 5 days before the season started, and look at league positions for past seasons? Not discrediting Sunderland's achievements, because they've been superb this season performing far above expectations.

An ideal situation would be to see Villa get relegated. We'd lose out on another £1.5m, but it would be well worth it XD

good signing for villa, wouldnt of mid seeing him at anfield, but £24m is quite a bit, infact its more than liverpool paid for Torres, or Man u paid for Rooney ( i think)

See, now, where do you go from there? What do you call him if he moves to Newcastle? Or do you just kind of melt into a puddle of rage? (6)

If he went to Newcastle, we wouldn't need to call him anything. Most Makems would have killed themselves by then.

See, now, where do you go from there? What do you call him if he moves to Newcastle? Or do you just kind of melt into a puddle of rage? (6)

I suppose you could of answered that Question by what would you reaction be if Barry went to Birmingham instead of City....

Well Sunderland didn't lose their manager 5 days before the season started, and look at league positions for past seasons? Not discrediting Sunderland's achievements, because they've been superb this season performing far above expectations.

Thats fair enough but do previous seasons matter this season?? As far as I can tell we are unbeaten against Villa this season and its still possible we can qualify for Europe. Villa are in a relegation scrap. Sorry but the only reason the 2 faced Judas has left is for the money. I hope all the Villa fans enjoy his twitter updates and he will say all of the right things but at the end of the day as soon as a better offer comes his way he will be off!

Ive got nothing against Villa, you did relegate Newcastle after all! But I would find it funny if they were relegated and you ended up with the most expensive Championship player! Its all he deserves!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_6672091,00.html

Steve Bruce has admitted everyone associated with Sunderland is 'massively let down' by Darren Bent's decision to leave for Aston Villa.
The two clubs have completed a deal for the England striker thought to be in the region of £18million.
Bent shocked the Sunderland board when he handed in a written transfer request in the aftermath of the 1-1 draw with Newcastle on Sunday.
Bruce, though, is determined to shake off the loss of his star striker as he continues to build a young and entertaining team.
Disappointing

"It's hugely disappointing that Darren has decided that his future lies away from Sunderland and the players, our supporters and the club as a whole have every right to feel massively let down," he told the club's official website.
"The timing is especially hard to take, given that we are progressing positively and are in a great position to push on.
"Everyone has been nothing but supportive of Darren in has time at Sunderland but it's obvious he's not been himself in training.
"We've certainly not seen the best of him in games in recent weeks - and we now understand why.
Build

"I've always stated that my aim is to build a talented, young squad for the long-term to help the club achieve sustained success.
"I want Sunderland fans to know that our ambitions haven't changed on that front."
Chairman Niall Quinn was stung into action and feels he has got his club the best deal possible.
"Darren has now left the club and it's important we move on quickly," he added.
"We've worked hard in the last 36 hours to get what we feel is a fair price for him."

An interesting view on Bent I heard a few minutes ago on the local news about the fee and all that is that if Villa were to be relegated it could cost the club up to £40 in the long term, spending £18 on Darren Bent now could effectively have saved the club £22m in the long run.

If he went to Newcastle, we wouldn't need to call him anything. Most Makems would have killed themselves by then.

He's not worth it mate! No player is bigger than the club and if the Judas wants to play elsewhere then let him get on with it! He obviously said all of the right things when he joined Sunderland, that he wanted to part of something special here and he wanted to emulate Kevin Phillips and become a legend. Well Darren you are not a legend, you are nothing but a mercenary!

Can't believe Villa'v have paid 24 million for him. No where near is he worth that much :O