Modric not for sale, insist Spurs

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 162
  • Views Views 9K
There is no doubt in my mind that Modric will not leave this summer.

The fact that Levy has made such a bold and powerful statement leaves him with no room to backtrack and this is his reputation respect on the line. IF Modric decides to hand in a transfer request then just stick him in the reserves for 6 months purely to prove a point. That being said I cannot see Modric officially handing in a transfer request.

Unless a utterly ridiculous bid of 60m+ comes in he will be in a Spurs shirt next season.

I'm pretty sure you use a different figure everytime CJ XD I think they can hold out for £40+ mil, but this is clearly an effort to raise his price as much as possible

£60m for Modric? You shittin' me!

I would take £30-35m.

Modric is the type of player who isn't irreplaceable. Yes, he's a cracking player, but when someone doesn't score enough goals, you can always replace them in my opinion. Spurs will do very lucky to keep an ambitious player against his will, but after all, we're doing the same.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter if we sell him for 50p or £50 million. At the end of the day, he fits our system to an absolute T. If we can't replace him, then any money earned from the transfer isn't going to be able to replace him, regardless of the amount.

That said, I'm still up in the air over the situation. Here are the three possibilities I see:

A) He stays for another season, with the promise that we'll allow him to leave if we fail to achieve Champions League football again. His quality performances are maintained.
B) He stays at the club, despite wanting out, after we refuse outright to entertain any bids. His performances suffer as a result of his grievances.
C) He is transferred, after we hold out for the best possible price. He leaves the club to a mixed reception, and goes on to play Champions League football at another club.

I'm leaning towards option A, after Levy's statement, but none of them would surprise me. Perhaps B would be the biggest surprise though, with option C still a very valid option.

There is no doubt in my mind that Modric will not leave this summer.

The fact that Levy has made such a bold and powerful statement leaves him with no room to backtrack and this is his reputation respect on the line. IF Modric decides to hand in a transfer request then just stick him in the reserves for 6 months purely to prove a point. That being said I cannot see Modric officially handing in a transfer request.

Unless a utterly ridiculous bid of 60m+ comes in he will be in a Spurs shirt next season.

That aside the big question is do you really want a player playing for you who has expressed his desire to move to Chelsea?? I know i wouldnt want a player playing for Chelses that didnt want to play for the club no matter how big a player he is.

That aside the big question is do you really want a player playing for you who has expressed his desire to move to Chelsea?? I know i wouldnt want a player playing for Chelses that didnt want to play for the club no matter how big a player he is.

The same as Fab really, although Fab has much more respect for Arsenal in that sense. Fab knows he want's to leave, everyone does, however his attitude and performances haven't changed due to this.

The same as Fab really, although Fab has much more respect for Arsenal in that sense. Fab knows he want's to leave, everyone does, however his attitude and performances haven't changed due to this.

I think it will be the same with Modric. He doesn't strike me as the sort of player whose performances would be affected by the speculation around his future. I think he, like Fabregas, is willing to stay providing the club shows their ambition -- If they get into the CL next season, it will either drive his price up further, or give him less reason to leave.

Spurs' complaints are pretty silly, though. It was always going to become public knowledge.

EDIT:

And CJACKO - Didn't Terry want to go to City at one point a couple of years ago? Still want him then did you? Easy to forgive big/important players providing they a) respect your club and/or b) Have a genuine reason to leave.

Modric and Fabregas both respect their clubs IMO, and both have genuine reasons to leave - more than just money. Unlike a certain Mr. Terry.

Last edited:
I think it will be the same with Modric. He doesn't strike me as the sort of player whose performances would be affected by the speculation around his future. I think he, like Fabregas, is willing to stay providing the club shows their ambition -- If they get into the CL next season, it will either drive his price up further, or give him less reason to leave.

Spurs' complaints are pretty silly, though. It was always going to become public knowledge.

EDIT:

And CJACKO - Didn't Terry want to go to City at one point a couple of years ago? Still want him then did you? Easy to forgive big/important players providing they a) respect your club and/or b) Have a genuine reason to leave.

Modric and Fabregas both respect their clubs IMO, and both have genuine reasons to leave - more than just money. Unlike a certain Mr. Terry.
Lol he didn't want to leave, the media as usual said he did because City offered for him

Lol he didn't want to leave, the media as usual said he did because City offered for him

Lol you can believe what you want. Reliable media sources from a quick google search tell me he met with his advisors and was genuinely interested in a move.

EDIT:

One massive difference, show me a quote from Terry saying he actually wanted to leave Chelsea and actually wanted to join Man City?? Exacly you wont fine one. Terry has already told his side of the story and its more belivable than the one where he wanted out. He wanted to meet with Kenyon and Abramovich (who were both on holiday) before signing a new contract becasue he wanted re-assurenses that the club was going to keep hold of their best players i.e Lampard and Drogba. Unlike Modric and Rooney not once did Terry say i want out and i want to join City. City heard that he was wainting on his contract and made a few cheeky offers.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Difference is Arsenal are currently a team who qualify for the CL every season so its not as bad for him.

One massive difference, show me a quote from Terry saying he actually wanted to leave Chelsea and actually wanted to join Man City?? Exacly you wont fine one. Terry has already told his side of the story and its more belivable than the one where he wanted out. He wanted to meet with Kenyon and Abramovich (who were both on holiday) before signing a new contract becasue he wanted re-assurenses that the club was going to keep hold of their best players i.e Lampard and Drogba. Unlike Modric and Rooney not once did Terry say i want out and i want to join City. City heard that he was wainting on his contract and made a few cheeky offers

Like Terry Rooney wanted assurance and both got one with fat pay.. No difference.. Rooney never said he is leaving.

Like Terry Rooney wanted assurance and both got one with fat pay.. No difference.. Rooney never said he is leaving.

Rooney handed in a transfer request!!! How more blatent could you be???

One massive difference, show me a quote from Terry saying he actually wanted to leave Chelsea and actually wanted to join Man City?? Exacly you wont fine one. Terry has already told his side of the story and its more belivable than the one where he wanted out. He wanted to meet with Kenyon and Abramovich (who were both on holiday) before signing a new contract becasue he wanted re-assurenses that the club was going to keep hold of their best players i.e Lampard and Drogba. Unlike Modric and Rooney not once did Terry say i want out and i want to join City. City heard that he was wainting on his contract and made a few cheeky offers.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Difference is Arsenal are currently a team who qualify for the CL every season so its not as bad for him.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/#wordsthatdescribeme#Winning

Moving on, It's about time we got a manager to do these transfers

Rooney wanted the club to show Ambition and lets be honest, He may have bullied the glazers into giving Fergie all this cash to sign...

Rooney wanted ambition, we matched it.

Rooney handed TR? No. He didn't,. He didn't sign contract and didn't want to until he was assured about squad. He didn't hand TR..

And also Terry had ManCity offer and milked every penny in the new contract..

Rooney handed TR? No. He didn't,. He didn't sign contract and didn't want to until he was assured about squad. He didn't hand TR..

And also Terry had ManCity offer and milked every penny in the new contract..

He was in contract talks before City even showed an intrest, there is a huge difference between the two situations without a dout.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Wouldn't make much difference. Abramovich does the Transfer business anyway - always has.

Ancelotti wanted Ramires and Luiz. The only transfer Roman has done without 100% of the managers concent was Shevchenko

He was in contract talks before City even showed an intrest, there is a huge difference between the two situations without a dout.

No there really is not. Where are you getting your Info from, your blinkered thoughts. Terry was offered a contract, didnt sign it, Thought about City, Got his agent to contact City, City made a few offers.. Terry decided to sign for chelsea in the end( Close run thing)

Terry either was srs about City or used it to Milk more ££££s out of chelsea.

Back